Objectives and actions
GoalsThe Cluster has the objective of triggering the growth and the development of biobased industries in Italy, through an holistic approach to innovation, aimed at revitalising Italian chemistry in the name of environmental, social and economic sustainability and to stimulate research and investments in new technologies, in constant dialogue with the actors of local areas.
SPRING aims to support a continuous interaction among its members and other actors active in the field of bioeconomy in order to sustain the creation of innovative and strategic projects of significant technological impact for the sector of “green chemistry”, and to relaunch the creation of public-private partnerships. At the same time, it has the objective of promoting the testing and demonstration of prototypes and pilot plants for the production of biochemicals and biomaterials for the validation of the research on an industrial scale, and of encouraging synergistic integration processes among the sectors of chemistry, engineering design, food processing, agriculture and waste management.
The interaction between companies, universities, research centers, institutions and agricultural world is the precondition for creating new local value chains, for strengthening the existing ones and for channeling resources and actions towards common goals, in order to maximize the positive impact of Research and Innovation activities, reducing the high risks associated with the development of new cutting-edge technologies and speeding time-to-market for new technologies and innovative products.
Of the same importance are the activities related to technology transfer, environmental communication and dissemination of the principles and issues related with bioeconomy, which will be carried out within the Cluster by many members such as regional innovation clusters , technology parks, consortia, trade and local associations, development agencies, foundations, in order to maximize the spread on the territory of SPRING initiatives and achievements.
The Cluster has therefore the proposition of becoming a point of reference for local, national and European institutions in the field of “green chemistry”, helping to define the implementation of a national policy on bioeconomy and to have it diffused at a European level.
PillarsThe Cluster actions on the short, medium and long term focus on four main pillars:
- the use of renewable resources as raw materials, through the determination of the local most appropriated species, such as scraps or dedicated crops, to be used in biorefinery processes; the identification and use of marginal and/or contaminated lands; the promotion of the cascade use of biomass and the construction of new agro-industrial value chains;
- the creation of biorefineries integrated in the local areas to obtain high value-added products (biochemicals, biomaterials); the development and optimization of innovative technologies and efficient processes through activities of Research & Development and scale-up aimed to foster the construction of pilot plants and flagships; the reconversion of decommissioned industrial areas;
- the development of new biobased products (partially or totally obtained from renewable resources), with low environmental impact and benefits under the social and economic point of view;
- the implementation of specific actions in support of R&D activities, in order to contribute to the growth of investments in innovative technologies and in pilot plants and to stimulate bioeconomy at a national and regional level.
- To contribute to the definition of policies at all territorial levels and to the Cluster positioning at EU levels as a national referent on issues related to the European Strategy on Bioeconomy and on the portfolio of policies of interest for biobased industries, and to define a national roadmap to foster the development of chemistry from renewable resources in Italy.
- To develop new innovation and value-chain models, maximizing the opportunities offered by territories and local areas.
- To catalyze case studies on specific sectors, in which local areas become “laboratories” for the use of innovative products in fields of public interest, fostering the cross fertilization with realities inside and outside the EU.
- To organize periodic moments of information and training for civil servants in order to create awareness about the benefits coming from the use of biobased products, to provide training and scholarships for education and orientation programs directly connected with R&D projects, to realize regular activities of scientific divulgation and diffusion of the results achieved by the Cluster.
Activities and actionsIn relation with the presented objectives, the Cluster SPRING will:
- support public and private operators in the identification of projects aiming at the realization of pilot plants and demonstrators for the optimization of biorefinery processes;
- participate in initiatives at an international level, in collaboration with other Clusters and entities focused on biobased products, in order to maximize cross-fertilization opportunities;
- organise workshops and working groups on key issues for the sector, aimed at creating an ongoing dialogue and know -how exchange among institutions, companies, research centers and universities;
- participate in the implementation of regional initiatives (for example, innovation clusters, public-private partnerships in areas covered by the Convergence objective) considered as strategic for the diffusion of technological innovation in the field of biobased economy;
- promote technology transfer in the field of bioeconomy dedicated to high value-added products;
- promote regional policies and instruments to stimulate R&D activities in the field of biobased products to ensure the alignment of the projects carried out by the Cluster with the European and national policies in the field of biobased economy;
- promote specific activities to support SMEs and innovative start-ups, in order to foster their inherent ability to quickly adapt to external environments and to respond with cutting-edge innovations.